Calling Card and phone-card services are very popular around the world allowing people to make low cost international calls from a landline, cellphone or payphone without requiring an Internet connection or data plan.
Calling cards may be pre-paid or post-paid and work as follows:
- Customer calls a local access number
- Customer authenticated by Caller ID (PINless)
- Or prompted for PIN
- Optionally, the balance is read out
- Prompted for a number to call
- Customer connected to called party
The rate the customer pays is far lower than the cost of the same call using either a payphone, the incumbent telephone company or cellphone operator, this is particularly true of international calls.